Over 116,000 Australians are experiencing homelessness right now. On one of the longest and coldest nights of the year, June 23rd, business owners and community and government leaders are encouraged to ‘sleep rough’ for a night to raise awareness and vital funds for homelessness in Australia.
Each CEO commits to fundraising a minimum amount which will help Vinnies provide essential services to those in need of them. In 2021, this fundraising and awareness event raised over $9.3 million for those both experiencing homelessness, or at risk of homelessness.
Funds from Vinnies Sleepouts and other donations contribute to bed nights for people experiencing homelessness, food items through support centers, ongoing individual support programs, emergency assistance and home visits.
“Vinnies is determined to help break the cycle of homelessness. With support services all over Australia, Vinnies understands that each community is different. That’s why Vinnies services vary between each state and territory.”
Are you a CEO or know of a CEO to take part in this event? Here’s some tips and ideas from the Vinnies CEO Sleepout site to help you get started and achieve your fundraising goal.
- Lead by example – make a personal donation first, then encourage your peers to match your donation
- Spread the word – utilise your profession and personal networks to promote your participation in this event, and take this opportunity to educate them about the issues of homelessness, and ways they can help to break the cycle
- You’ve got mail – log in to your Vinnies CEO Sleepout dashboard to access draft email templets, which you can send to your colleagues, family and friends, to encourage sponsorship
- Personalise your fundraising page – by adding personal touches to your page, colleagues, family and friends will be more likely to donate
- Make them an offer they can’t refuse – create engaging incentives that will encourage donations. E.g. coffee run or pizza lunch for the department that raises the most funds. Not only will this encourage funds, but promote team building and boost morale
- Create a positive media angle – dedicate a percentage of your sales to the Vinnies CEO Sleepout, or advocate your participation through industry media
- Get by with a little help from your friends – turn weekly meetings or catchups into mini fundraiser events – get creative!
- Raffle off your best assets – do you have a product that sells particularly better than others? Or access to a corporate box? Use these or some sort of prize pack to raffle off amongst colleagues, friends and family and put all donations towards your sleepout fundraising
- Call in some favours – see if those who you’ve supported or sponsored in the past, can return the favour and make a donation
- ‘Thank you’ goes a long way – don’t forget to thank everyone who has supported your fundraising. Be sure to provide them with updates on your progress
“The latest figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that 116,000 people in Australia are experiencing homelessness. It’s not just the figures that matter, it’s the people behind them.
Every night Vinnies provides crisis accommodation facilities to thousands of Australians. A donation to the Vinnies CEO Sleepout helps fund Vinnies homeless services in capital cities and regional centres.
Everyone deserves a safe place to call home. For over a decade, supporters of the Vinnies CEO Sleepout have provided essential support to tens of thousands of Australians. This year, you can make a difference.”